Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Complimentary Room Upgrades

A well-known tip when visiting Las Vegas is to tip the front desk attendant when you are checking in with the hopes of getting a “free” upgrade. This trick has always worked for me and I have received free upgrades every time (though some have not been as fortunate).


I wondered if this worked in non-Vegas hotels and to my surprise, it worked in boutique hotels I visited in Chicago and in Washington DC. The DC hotel even covered all my resort fees. But then I got a little cocky and tried it in a more established chain in Orlando. Being laughed at by the attendant when I tried to tip them was very embarrassing and something I won’t soon forget.



What I failed to take in account, is the higher level of monitoring by these bigger hotel chains. Even if the employee wanted to give you an upgrade, many times big brother is watching them. True, the tip still works well in Las Vegas but that has almost become customary in Las Vegas.

Since then I have realized a much simpler way to try to upgrade your rooms. Many hotels offer status levels that include room upgrades (when available) when you sign up for their credit cards. While many of these cards do have an annual fee, many of these hotels offer a free night’s stay which is usually worth more than the fee. Also, what I was offering in tips adds up as well.
Some hotel credit cards to consider:

·         Marriott Rewards Premier
o   80,000 sign-up points, 1 night free at your sign-up anniversary, $85 annual fee
o   Silver status
·         Hyatt
o   40,000 sign-up points, 1 night free at your sign-up anniversary, $75 annual fee
o   Discoverist status
·         American Express Hilton Honors
o   75,000 sign-up points, no annual fee
o   Silver status
o   80,000 sign-up points,$75 annual fee
o   Gold status

Unless you are in Las Vegas, I recommend signing up for one of these cards if you are looking for complimentary upgrades. True, most of these have an annual fee but consider it an investment in your trip planning. It sure beats getting laughed at in your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment